04 Aug Festival “MEAT PIE” August 20 – October 15: The Farmers Bank of Rustico
Do you believe you make the best meat pie in your local area or maybe even in PEI? Do you have a secret recipe of your own or a long-standing family recipe that’s been passed down from generation to generation which you believe will leave our judges salivating for more? If so, then Festival “Meat Pie” is for you!
Register and join us for fun and friendly competitions featuring two different categories of meat pie – the Traditional Acadian meat pie as well as the Non-traditional meat pie.
Six regional competitions will be taking place between August 20 and October 15 across PEI. Regional competitions will be held in DeBlois, Évangéline, Summerside, Rustio, Charlottetown & Rollo Bay. 1st place regional winners in both categories outlined below will gather for the grand finale in Rustico on Saturday, October 15.
Traditional Acadian Meat Pie – This category features and highlights the classic traditional Acadian meat pie. Acadian meat pie goes back hundreds of years and is a delicacy that is still served in Acadian households today. Many Acadians still gather around the table to feast on Acadian meat pie after midnight mass on Christmas Eve or will have it for breakfast on Christmas Day!
Here are a few things to keep in mind for this category:
- Should be made with chicken (or turkey) and may include pork
- It may include onions
- It should (but does not need to) include summer savoury
- It may include your family’s secret ingredient(s)
- It may include salt & pepper
- It may be folded or served pie style
Non-Traditional Meat Pie – Let your imaginative and adventurous side run free! Nothing submitted in this category can be too crazy or too wacky! This category is designed to let your culinary talents run wild and allows you to come up with your very own creation! In this category the sky is the limit and we’re looking forward to seeing your twist and creations surrounding meat pie! Maybe a cheeseburger meat pie? A curry meat pie? A dessert meat pie? Soooo many options and possibilities and we’re leaving it all up to you!
Official Contest Rules & Regulations
- There is no fee to enter, and this Contest is open anyone who is 18 years of age or older at time of entry. For participants under the age of 18 years old, a parent or guardian must grant permission to enter the Contest and agree to all the Terms of the Contest.
- Contestants must be registered and checked-in at least 30 minutes prior to the contest start time or risk losing their spot.
- All meat pies must arrive on site at a temperature of 4 °C (40 °F) or lower. Temperature of each meat pie will be checked when arriving on site. Meat pies that arrive and that are not at the appropriate temperature will be disqualified.
- Meat pies must be stored and transported under conditions that protect the meat pie from adulteration, contamination and temperature fluctuations and other conditions that would render the food unfit for human consumption (we suggest transporting it on ice).
- All meat pies must have been prepared and cooked no earlier than 48 hours prior to competition date and must have been store in the refrigerator at a temperature of 4 °C (40 °F) or lower until it arrives on site.
- All recipes must be original work. You may use other recipes for inspiration. We suggest your own original creation or a long-standing family recipe.
- Each submitted recipe must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
- Meat pies will be served and judged cold.
How To Enter:
To enter visit the submission form page and follow the detailed instructions. All entries must include your full name, address, city, postal code, telephone number and email address. If entries do not contain all necessary information, entrant will be disqualified.
All qualifying entries will be judged with the top entry from each category moving on to the second and final round. The second and final round will determine the Provincial winner of each category. All qualifying entries will be judged based on the following criteria.
- Taste: 50% – Is this recipe delicious from the first bite to the last? Does it have an interesting yet balanced flavor combination? Would you want to make this recipe over and over again based on taste alone?
- Visual Appeal: 25% – Does this recipe present beautifully on a plate or in a baking dish? Do your eyes make you want to eat this before you even smell or taste it?
- Creativity: 25% – Is this recipe an original idea or does it have a twist that makes it unique? Did it use common ingredients in an uncommon way?
Qualifying entries will be judged using the criteria stated above. Judging will be accomplished by a celebrity judge as well as two local judges. Decision of the judges is final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest.
Winners and Prizes: Three winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize winners) will be chosen from regional competitions in each of the two categories for cash prizes of $250 for 1st place, $125 for 2nd place and $75 for 3rd place prize. Each 1st place category winner (from both regional categories) will be entered into the provincial competition which will take place in Rustico on Saturday, October 15th. If a regional winner is unable or chooses not to participate in the finale, the second-place winner will be invited to take part in their place. Three winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd place prize winners) will be chosen from each of the two categories during the finale in Rustico on Saturday, October 15th for cash prizes of $500 for 1st place, $250 for 2nd place and $150 for 3rd place prize.
A total of thirty-six (36) regional winners will be selected. Twelve (12) 1st place category winners (6 from each category) will compete during the finale and one (1) Grand Prize winner in each category will be selected. Prizes are nontransferable. Organizer will not be responsible for any loss, liability or damage arising out of the winners’ acceptance or use of the prize(s). All prizes are guaranteed to be awarded, assuming a sufficient number of qualifying entries is received and meet the minimum judging criteria.
Selection of Winners: Winners will be determined, announced, and notified in person after each regional and provincial event. In the event winner is a minor, all required documentation must have been signed by parent or legal guardian. Parent or legal guardian agrees to assume all responsibility of the prize including, but not limited to, risks, liability, or applicable taxes. Entry and/or acceptance of prize(s) constitutes permission for the Organizer and its agencies (if any) to use the winner’s name, hometown (e.g., city) and/or likeness for advertising and trade purposes without further compensation or authorization, and in perpetuity, in any and all forms of media, now known and hereafter devised, unless prohibited by law.
By entering, participants agree to be bound by these complete Official Rules. Organizer reserves the right to terminate or modify the Contest at any time for any reason. Organizer also reserves the right to modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received and/or an insufficient number of entries meet the minimum judging criteria. Entrants agree to indemnify Organizer, its affiliated and subsidiary companies from and against any and all claims and liabilities arising out of or in connection with this Contest. In the event of any dispute regarding the identity of an entrant who submitted an entry, the authorized account holder of the email address and/or phone number used for the entry at the time of entry will be deemed the entrant. Organizer, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the operation of the website or the entry process.