24 Mar 7 Hands-On PEI Experiences
The tradition of working with our hands has been passed down for generations on Prince Edward Island. Indeed, those who came before us took just as much pride in their work and respect the land and sea as we do today.
Whether it’s digging for tonight’s dinner or dipping our hands in chocolate, we have a number of experiences that allows you to step into our shoes and learn these time-tested approaches. Here are a few ways to get your hands dirty and have a few laughs in the process.
1. The Table Culinary Studio – Set against the spectacular backdrop of New London’s vibrant red and green fields, The Table offers one-of-a-kind culinary experiences. Their small classes of 8 to 10 people allow you to learn about different Island foods, practice new cooking techniques and produce your own authentic PEI meal made almost entirely of ingredients produced and harvested right here on our beautiful Island.
2. By-The-Sea-Kayaking – Located in the picturesque seaport village of Victoria-by-the-Sea, By-The-Sea Kayaking has been offering paddling tours for over a decade. It’s a wonderful way to explore the waterways of the south shore with your family and friends. You can even enhance your kayaking outing with a clam digging experience and then cook up your own clam dig back on land.
3. HOP SIP & SWIRL – Hop, sip and—you guessed it—swirl your way through PEI with Tasting and Tours one-of-a-kind experience. As a small group, you’ll stop at our Island’s finest craft cideries, breweries, wineries and distilleries and receive personal attention from the travel hosts who are passionate about PEI and its blossoming industries.
4. Island Chocolates – Since 1987, the Gilbert family has been making delicious hand-dipped chocolates from their shop in Victoria-by-the-Sea. They offer chocolate-making workshops every Wednesday morning (or by appointment) where you’ll learn cocoa and chocolate production, and dip your hands in the chocolate to make nut clusters, cream centres and moulded chocolates.
5. Meadowbrook Art Studio – Located in Crapaud, at the Meadowbrook Art Studio you’ll let your inner artist come out to play and unleash hidden levels of creativity. From forming beautiful pieces of art from fabric, to creating breathtaking Mandala paintings or greeting cards, you’re in for an experience you’ll cherish forever.
6. Joey’s Fishing Trips – Experience fishing through the eyes of a fisherman. Setting sail from the Rustico Bridge, Joey’s Deep Sea Fishing offers authentic lobster tours. During a scenic boat ride in the Gulf of the St. Lawrence, you’ll enjoy homemade seafood chowder, steamed mussels, and freshly cooked lobster while taking in some of the most amazing views on PEI.
7. Knit Pickers PEI – Knit Pickers features wool from Island farms and their artisans love sharing their knowledge through various workshops on offer. You can easily learn the tips and techniques to knit a perfect hat and scarf, try your hand at knitting lace, or create your very own socks to get you through those chilly winter evenings.