Welcome to Borden-Carleton
On behalf of Town Council members we would like to welcome you to The Town of Borden-Carleton, a small but beautiful place at the foot of the Confederation Bridge. The Community of Borden-Carleton was created as a result of the April 12, 1995 amalgamation of the Town of Borden and the Community of Carleton Siding, reverted back to Town status in 2012. The town covers a land area of 12.94 square km and had a population of 798 according to the 2006 Census of Canada.
In the 1820’s, when the first Scottish settlers came, the community of Borden and surrounding area was known as Carleton Point. The community’s role as “Gateway” to the mainland was established in 1914 with Prince Edward Island’s new year-round rail service, which brought about the construction of piers for a ferry to the mainland. The first icebreaker crossed the Northumberland Strait in 1917 and Port Borden was incorporated in 1919, named for the Canadian Prime Minister of the day, Sir Robert Borden. The town was built around the ferry service, which provided employment to residents. The construction and subsequent opening, in 1997, of the Confederation Bridge linking Prince Edward Island with the mainland, marks the beginning of a new era for Borden-Carleton.
M-F 8:30am to 4:30pm (Year Round)