24 Mar Finding the Perfect Keepsake in Central PEI
Prince Edward Island is home to amazing artists and craftspeople, making it the perfect place to find just the right keepsake for your loved ones back home. We also won’t judge if you keep some just for you—you’ll want to remember the place that stole your heart, right?
From enduring wool sweaters and delicious preserves to unique pieces of pottery and original artwork, there is no shortage of places to find something you’ll cherish for many years to come.
1. Village Pottery, New London – For the past 40+ years, Village Pottery has been making functional and unique pottery in gorgeous colours that’s meant to be loved and used every day. They’re all about supporting their fellow artisans, too. As such, you’ll find pottery from 10 other local potters at their shop, as well as a selection of local artwork.
2. Island Honey Wine Company, Wheatley River – From lavender to apple cider mead, the wine-lovers in your life will love this unique wine made from honey. This little piece of “certified organic paradise”, as owners Charles and Laura Lipnicki fondly call it, produces mead that features local, climate friendly ingredients.
3. O’Neil Home Gallery, Malpeque – The walls of this gallery and cafe feature artworks of Scott O’Neil, inspired by the everyday beauty of landscapes, seascapes and life portrayals. Whether it’s an original piece of art or a commissioned piece, acquiring his artwork is like bringing PEI home with you.
4. Rustico Bay Wool Sweater Company, North Rustico – Long after the beach days are over, you’ll want to warm up in something cozy from Rustico Bay Wool Sweater Co. They proudly work with knitters from around the region and in addition to their signature wool sweaters, you can find wool accessories such as hats, mitts/gloves, scarves, and blankets at their shop.
5. The Prince Edward Island Preserve Company, New Glasgow – When travelling through the rolling hills of New Glasgow, be sure to drop into the Island Preserve Company for a variety of preserves like raspberry with champagne or strawberry and rhubarb. They also have a selection of teas, honey, curds and syrups — everything you need to make a splash at your next dinner party.
6. Thompson’s Woodcraft, Summerside – For art you can incorporate into your daily life, check out Wilfred Thompson’s fine selection of unique, quality wood products. He is passionate about his work and has perfected his skills over 40 years, transforming raw pieces of wood, like birch, walnut and birdseye maple, into beautiful pieces of art.
7. Deep Roots Distillery, Warren Grove – The Beamish Family started a small organic apple orchard in 1990 and later opened Deep Roots Distillery in 2014. Since then, they’ve been committed to capturing the rich, flavourful spirit of the Island and create small-batch products like small-batch products like spiced apple liqueur, maple liqueur and Island Tide liquor.